To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Household Guide to Dying, part 2

I'm a little more than halfway through this book and I am still a bit unsure of how I feel about it. Certainly, there are parts that really tug at my heart, or at least they try to. It's hard to feel sympathetic with characters that are cold and distant. Even the main character is lukewarm, at best. While I think this could be an amazing book, (I do love the concept) I feel like the book is just taking us through the motions. The characters have no depth, and that makes it really hard to relate to them on any but the most basic level. There's about as much emotion to this story as you would get reading a newspaper article about the same events. I can't stand books at are all fluff and no substance, but on the same token, I don't like reading something that is all about actions with no emotional fluff added in. It makes the whole story feel very cold, and analytical.

No comments:

Post a Comment